Seven tips for writers. How to start writing? What to do to start writing
I am ready to write again. It is a ritual for me. I have spent the last three months remembering and doing all the things that I did for Change or Die. These are the things that I do.
1) Don’t write just think – I decide on the topic and mull it over in my head. No pens no typing just me and the thoughts and I lug them around with me everywhere I go
2) Take nothing in –I don’t read anything on the topic that was written by anyone else. I want my thoughts to be clear and not influenced by other voices
3) Find a place to write. For Change or Die I bought a beautiful red Chair, for the new book I bought a green one. Now I am back to sitting in the red one
4) Crate a space to write and preserve it – My writing space is not to be shared. I set up a beautiful space in the loft, with the green chair and then my partner started using it. Yuck – I can’t write there. The space has to be MINE, hence the reason I am back to the red chair ( my partner does not like it)
5) Talk about it – I started talking about the book to my TRUSTED and positive cheerleaders. People who I know mean well and will ask me clarifying questions only. I also spoke to my coach which means that I made a commitment. If you don’t have a coach then share with the person you respect the most – who you trust etc. and commit to them a start date
6) Prepare a draft – I developed a loose draft of the themes I want to cover and what goes under each theme. Really it’s one page in a note book. Nothing fancy – it’s too early to decide what chapter is first second or third.
7) Create an image of your completed product. This really gets me excited. I creted the book cover – a strong visual of the book and what it is about. This I stick on the fridge door so I can see it. I don’t care who else sees it. The more people talk about it the more I get to hear how it sounds.
So now I commit to you. I begin writing the new book in September 2013. I have created the book cover and it’s on my fridge. Drop by and we can have a chat about what it’s about.